Checklist for A Meeting
- Be Prepared
- Be Respectful
- Stay on Topic
- Leave Behind a Written Summary
Schedule brief meetings right before key actions. Schedule longer, in-depth meetings during interim. After social pleasantries, get right to the topic. Make your case. Ask politely for action. Listen to the reply and state what you hear. Address any objections, if you can.
Dos and Don’ts
- Do get to the topic.
- Don’t let small talk eat away your time.
- Do bring your personal story and stake in the issue. Credential yourself.
- Do bring fresh, credible information.
- Don’t threaten electoral consequences.
- Do ask for support of your position.
- Don’t burn bridges. Keep doors for communication open. Send a thank-you note.