Checklist for Phone Calls
- Be brief.
- Be timely.
- Be prepared to leave a one-sentence message.
If you cannot say what you need to say within three minutes, write a letter.
Dos and Don’ts
- Do make notes and practice what you want to say.
- Do identify yourself.
- Do use bill numbers if you have them.
- Do be prepared to leave a short message such as, “Please support House File 100, the Hunger Reduction Bill.”
- Don’t insist on a call-back.
- Do make phone calls before key votes. Respond quickly to organization “alerts.”
- Do report back to your organizations on your phone conversations.